Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I'm back. Visited Ars today

I am back. After a few days of being locked out of the blog, I again have access. The problem with the blog was exactly what my computer techie friend at CTS Computers in Taunton (Sound like a Commercial? It is. They are the best.) said it would be. The WiFi server at the Lyon hotel where I was staying had filters set up. I am on the road again and the Wifi here is fine. There are no interruptions.

And I'm glad, because I had a terrific day. It was one of the highlights of the experience so far. Ars-sur-Formans is the fulll name of the town, St. Philomena is the parish. St. John-Marie Vianney, the patron saint of all pastors, served 41 years there. I arrived at 10:30am in time for the 11:00am Mass. One of the Benedictine Sisters at the Pilgrim's reception area had all the information I needed. So I presented myself in the sacristy with 5 other priests. The basilica was full. The celebrant introduced us all and noted that I was here because of six month sabbatical and that I was here to celebrate my 29th anniversary of ordination. I explained that it was really 2 days ago, but travel issues as they were caused the delay. It was a joyful celebration. The music was accompanied by one of the sister on a cithara, and instrument similar to a dulcimer. I thought the sound would be lost in the big space, but the accoustics took care of that. It was heavenly.

Another surprise that made it very special was because of a young Polish priest who arrived a few minutes before Mass would start. The celebrant said that in honor of the Polish priest we would use Blessed Pope John Paul II's chalice. When the venerable Holy Father died, he bequeathed his chalice to the basilica at Ars to be used by priests from all over the world who come there to celebrate Mass.

Blessed Pope John Paul II chalice from which I shared Holy Communion with other priests today.
The Exterior of the basilica dedicated to the memory of St. John-Marie Vianney and also the parish church of St. Philomena's parish in the village of Ars.

The interior of the basilica. It is not a very large space. In square feet, it is not a whole lot bigger that St. John Neumann. Of course the space divided by columns and side chapels makes it look really bigger than it is.  The basilica consists of an octagonal space below the dome about 25 feet in diameter and small side chapels. The place where the congregations sits holds about 100 people.

The side altar with the body of St. John-Marie Vianney lying at the altar. At the time of his cannonization, his body was exhumed and found to be intact. His body is clothed in Mass vestments with a wax mask on his face.
Another view of the center.
The courtyard of the rectory next to the church
An open shed and stable in the back.






St. John-Marie Vianney's library

His bedroom and bed where he died.